McAllen Car Accident Attorney
Advocating for Car Accident Victims in McAllen
Have you been involved in a car accident and suffered injuries? You may be able to recover compensation for your medical bills, lost wages, and pain and suffering by filing a personal injury claim against the at-fault party.
At Leah Wise Law Firm, we believe in holding negligent drivers accountable for their careless and reckless behavior on the roads. We know how to effectively navigate the complexities of the personal injury legal system and are prepared to fight for the maximum compensation you are owed.
Common Causes of Car Accidents
Car accidents can happen for a number of reasons, including driver negligence. Driver negligence occurs when a driver makes a mistake that causes an accident and harms another person or their property.
Some common causes of car accidents include:
- Driver error: Driver error is the most common cause of car accidents. Examples of driver error include speeding, running a red light, texting while driving, driving while intoxicated, and failing to yield the right of way.
- Driver fatigue: Driver fatigue is one of the leading causes of car accidents, especially among commercial drivers. Commercial driver fatigue can be caused by working long hours, working overnight, working multiple jobs, and driving long distances.
- Distracted driving: Distracted driving is another common cause of car accidents. Common forms of distracted driving include texting, talking on the phone, applying makeup, eating, and more. Distracted driving is especially dangerous when combined with other causes of car accidents.
- Defective parts: Vehicles can be defective in a number of ways, including tires, brakes, airbags, and more. Defective parts can cause car accidents when they fail to do their job.
- Vehicle malfunction: Vehicles can malfunction in a number of ways, including airbag malfunctions and tire blowouts. Malfunctioning vehicles can cause car accidents when they suddenly fail to function correctly.
- Negligent driving: Negligent driving is another common cause of car accidents. Examples of negligent driving include following too closely, failing to yield the right of way, and running a red light or stop sign.
- Drowsy driving: Drowsy driving is another common cause of car accidents. Drowsy driving is especially dangerous when combined with other causes of car accidents.
- Bad weather: Bad weather can cause car accidents when drivers are not prepared to handle the changing conditions.
Common Car Accident Injuries
Car accidents can have profound physical and emotional consequences, often resulting in a range of injuries that may significantly impact a person's quality of life. These injuries can include:
- Traumatic Brain Injuries (TBI): Severe car accidents can lead to head trauma, causing concussions, contusions, or more severe brain damage with long-term cognitive impairments.
- Broken Bones and Fractures: The impact of a collision can result in broken bones, fractures, or crush injuries, requiring immediate medical attention and often surgery.
- Back and Spinal Cord Injuries: Car accidents can cause severe back injuries, including spinal cord damage, which may result in paralysis or permanent disability.
- Internal Injuries: The force of a car accident can cause internal injuries, such as organ damage or internal bleeding, which may require immediate surgical intervention.
It's important to recognize that the consequences of car accident injuries extend beyond physical pain and suffering. Victims may also experience emotional distress, financial burdens, and disruptions to their daily lives. Seeking proper medical attention, legal representation, and emotional support are essential steps in the journey toward recovery after a car accident.
What to Do After a Car Accident
After a car accident, it is important to follow certain steps to protect your rights and ensure you receive the compensation you are owed.
The following steps should be taken after a car accident:
- Seek Medical Attention: Your health and well-being should be your top priority. Seek immediate medical attention, even if you do not believe you are seriously injured.
- Document the Accident: Take photos of the accident scene, including vehicle damage, road conditions, and any visible injuries. Collect contact information from any witnesses.
- Report the Accident: Contact local law enforcement to report the accident. Obtain a copy of the police report for your records.
- Preserve Evidence: Keep all medical records, receipts, repair estimates, and any other relevant documentation related to the accident and your injuries.
- Consult with a Car Accident Attorney: Contact an experienced car accident attorney as soon as possible to protect your rights and ensure you receive proper legal guidance.
Determining Liability After a Car Accident
Determining liability after a car accident is crucial in seeking compensation for your damages. Liability can be complex and depend on various factors, including:
- Driver Negligence: When a driver fails to exercise reasonable care, they can be held liable for accidents.
- Vehicle Defects: If a defect in the vehicle contributes to the accident, the manufacturer may be responsible.
- Road Conditions: Inadequate road maintenance leading to accidents can make government entities liable.
- Third-Party Liability: In some cases, a third party, such as a vehicle owner, can share liability.
- Insurance Disputes: Resolving disputes with insurance companies may involve complex negotiations.
Tactics Employed by Insurance Companies
Insurance companies are profit-oriented and may employ various tactics to minimize payouts and reduce their liability, including:
- Quick Settlements: Offering quick, low settlements that may not fully cover your damages.
- Blaming Victims: Shifting blame onto the victim to reduce liability.
- Delaying Claims: Protracting the claims process to pressure victims into accepting low settlements.
- Claim Denials: Denying valid claims to avoid payouts.
It is essential to be aware of these tactics and to seek the assistance of a skilled car accident attorney who can protect your rights, negotiate with insurance companies on your behalf, and ensure that you receive fair compensation for your damages and injuries.
Compensation for Car Accident Victims
Car accident injury victims may be entitled to various forms of compensation, including:
- Medical Expenses: Coverage for current and future medical costs related to the accident.
- Lost Wages: Compensation for time missed from work due to injuries.
- Pain and Suffering: Damages for the physical and emotional distress experienced.
- Property Damage: Reimbursement for vehicle repair or replacement.
- Wrongful Death: Compensation for families who have lost a loved one in a fatal accident.
How an Attorney Can Assist You
A car accident attorney can help by:
- Investigating Your Case: Gathering evidence to support your claims and determine liability.
- Handling Insurance Claims: Dealing with insurance companies on your behalf and pursuing fair compensation.
- Negotiating Settlements: Negotiating with the other party or their insurance to reach a just settlement.
- Litigating Your Case: Representing your interests in court if a fair settlement cannot be reached through negotiation.
At Leah Wise Law Firm, we are dedicated to advocating for car accident victims in McAllen, ensuring they receive the support and compensation they need to move forward with their lives.
Contact us today to discuss your case and learn how we can help you secure the compensation you deserve.
“I never had to worry about anything because they took care of it!”- Angela M.
“I recommend Leah wise Law Firm to friends and family.”- Dulce T.
“I appreciate the service given by Leah Wise law firm.”- Matthew G.
Here to Help When You Need it Most
We can provide reasonable living expenses, rental car assistance & medical costs for qualified clients.
Available During Every Step of the Process
Call or text us any time for your legal questions or concerns.
Experienced in Every Area of Personal Injury
We have the resources and ability to help you win your specific case.